It’s been an interesting week in Chesterfield rec league baseball. We got to see two coach ejections in the 9U age group (in different games). I guess it’s an entertaining diversion, as long as you’re not the one getting tossed. Sort of like a spontaneous halftime show with a touch of Jerry Springer thrown in.
One of the toss-ees,* our friend Coach Brad, lamented “that umpire ejected me and I never even gotten up off my bucket.”
As if that wasn’t bad enough, the umpire looked to be still in diapers… a recent preschool graduate, at best.
In thinking about all the people I’ve seen get thrown out of youth baseball games, I decided to ask a few umpire friends to share some of the more memorable comments that caused them to shake their ejection fist in the air. Here’s what I got.
1. “Hey Blue, Lens Crafters called and said your order’s ready!”
2. “Well aren’t we lucky to have Ray Charles behind the plate!”
3. “Dang, Blue! I’ve seen better eyes on a potato!”
4. “Blue, I found your cell phone! We know it’s yours because it’s got four missed calls on it.”
5. “Hey Blue, I thought only horses sleep standing up!”
6. “Hey Blue, let me know ahead of time when you’re going to call a strike so I won’t be surprised.”
7. “Strike Three! Yeah, I bet your wife says that to you all the time!”
8. UMPIRE to COACH: “Go somewhere where I can’t see you!”
COACH to UMPIRE: “How ’bout home plate!”
9. “If you had one more eye, you’d be a cyclops!”
10. “You’re missing a great game, Blue!”
RESPONSE: “Yeah, I know, but I got assigned this one.”
11. “Blue, it’s a strike zone, not an end zone!!!”
12. “Blue, isn’t your wife going to be pissed when she finds out that you’ve been here screwing us all night?”
13. “You need to go to Walmart and buy a new strike zone!”
14. (beginning of game) “So, Blue, what are you calling strikes today?”
15. “Don’t bother sweeping off the corners. You’re not calling them anyway.”
16. “I’ve had better calls from my ex-wife!”
Good stuff!!! Do you have a funny umpire story to share, tell us in the comments.
Latest posts by angelaweight (see all)
- Is a Car Wash the Best Place to Clean Baseball Pants? - March 23, 2017
- Smart and Tasty Snack Ideas for the Ball Field - March 22, 2017
- College Recruiting: Demystifying the Process and Understanding the Timeline - March 19, 2017